The LifeStraw® Steel personal water filter builds upon the ingenuity intrinsic to the original LifeStraw® personal water filter with a durable, sleek steel exterior and 2-stage water filtration process.
Now, in addition to the hollow fiber membrane (filtering out virtually all bacteria and protozoa), the LifeStraw® Steel water filter has the additional benefit of an activated carbon capsule which reduces chemicals such as chlorine while reducing organic compounds (including pesticides and herbicides), odor and bad taste.
Features & Benefits
- Removes 99.9999% of bacteria (E. coli, etc.)
- Removes 99.9% of protozoa (Giardia, Cryptosporidium, etc.)
- Reduces chlorine
- Reduces bad odor and taste
- Reduces organic chemical matter (Pesticides, Herbicides, VOC)
- Lifetime of 1,000 liters (264 gallons) for the hollow fiber membrane
- Lifetime of 100 liters (26 gallons) for the replaceable carbon capsule
- Meets US EPA drinking water standards
- Reduces turbidity, filtering down to 0.2 microns
- Contains no chemicals (and is BPA-free), uses no batteries, has no moving parts
- Very high flow rate; no after taste (because no iodine or chlorine are used)
- Easy to clean. Can be stored and used periodically. Just keep uncapped so it can dry thoroughly.
- Very durable stainless steel construction.
- Replaceable activated carbon capsule
- No shelf life. LifeStraw® Steel can be stored indefinitely.
- Length: 9 inches
- Width: 1 inch
- Weight: 4.4 ounces (125 grams)
- Construction: Food grade stainless steel. Meets US Food and Drug Administration regulations and standards
Q: How does the LifeStraw Steel work?
A: The LifeStraw Steel has a 2-stage filtration process. The activated carbon filter removes some chemicals like chlorine and the hollowfiber micro filter removes 99.9999% of bacteria and 99.9% of protozoa.
Q: What does the LifeStraw Steel filter?
A: The LifeStraw Steel removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria, including E. coli, and 99.9% of waterborne protozoa, including Giardia & Cryptosporidium. LifeStraw Steel also reduces turbidity, filtering down to 0.2 microns. The activated carbon filter removes some chemicals (like chlorine) and some pesticides and fertilizers.
Q: How long will my LifeStraw Steel last?
A: The LifeStraw Steel can filter up to 1,000 liters (264 gallons) and the replaceable carbon capsule can filter 100 liters (26 gallons).
Q: How will I know when the LifeStraw Steel has reached the end of its life?
A: The flow rate of your LifeStraw Steel will decrease, and then stop pulling water through once it reaches the end of its life. You can increase the lifespan by cleaning the LifeStraw Steel after each use. It is important to change your carbon capsule every 3 months after first use to ensure that the first stage of filtration is working well.
Q: Can I replace my carbon capsules in my LifeStraw Steel?
A: Yes - carbon capsule replacements are available
LifeStraw® 'Follow the Litres'
For every LifeStraw® water filter sold, Vestergaard provides a child in Africa with clean water for an entire school year.
When you purchase any type of LifeStraw® filter, we use part of the funds to donate LifeStraw® Community institutional water purifiers to schools in Africa. LifeStraw® Community is specifically designed to deliver clean, safe water to school children by removing waterborne pathogens and contaminants commonly found in source water.
Since 2014, Vestergaard provided 316,000 school children or 631 schools in rural Kenya with safe, clean drinking water. Thank you for supporting this mission!
LifeStraw® Steel is manufactured by Vestergaard Frandsen, which is a Switzerland-based company specializing in disease control products for developing countries. Their core business model is centered around corporate social responsibility, and they help countries reach their United Nations’ Millenium Development Goals with products designed to prevent vector and water-borne diseases. LifeStraw® Water Filters are shipped throughout the world to countries in need including Haiti, Pakistan, and Africa.
1 Year Manufacturer's Warranty